Ilocano cuisine is known for tasty dishes using available ingredients and straightforward cooking owing to the practical and industrious nature of the locals. One of the popular Ilocano dishes is Lusay, which is a noodle dish filled with flavor from the local bagoong or fish paste. It is often enjoyed as an appetizer or a filling snack.
While Lusay is traditionally made with egg noodles and longganisa, you can create an updated version using hearty and healthy ingredients such as tuna and Duru Bulgur wheat. While tuna has Omega-3, Duru bulgur is high in fiber and folate to make your Lusay dish not only delicious, but also packed with nutrients that are good for your heart.
Duru Bulgur can be a fiber-rich alternative to rice and noodles, and can be used in different ways such as soups, as a pairing with meat and vegetable meals, pilaf, and even desserts.
You can find high-quality Duru Bulgur wheat in The Goodwill Market online catalogue, among other well-curated items that fit your health-conscious lifestyle. Check out this Duru Bulgur-based Lusay recipe and visit The Goodwill Market at www.goodwill.market for more recipe ideas using this super food, and have your pantry essentials, snacks, skincare, and health supplements delivered direct to our doorstep.
- 1 cup of Duru Bulgur (Coarse Bulgur)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, deseeded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup canned tuna
- 2-4 tbsp of Bagoong Ilocano
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash Duru Bulgur (medium) and cook in rice cooker until tender.
- When cooked, spread it on a tray and put it inside the chiller.
- Chop tomatoes and onions.
- Drain tuna and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add tomatoes and onions.
- When Bulgur is cold, add it to the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Drizzle with bagoong Ilocano and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold.
Check out my other recipes at The Tennis Foodie:
- Fusilli Pasta with Tomato and Cheddar Cheese Sauce using Quorn Meat-Free Grounds
- Cucumber Orange Cupcake by The Tennis Foodie
- Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
- Creamy Mackerel Pasta
- Chicken Vermont Curry
- Vinamilk No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Dark Chocolate Muesli Brigadeiros
- Melon Macadamia Surprise
- Sarangani Bay Bangus Rolls
- Danes Cheese Bacon Rolls
- Bingo Double Choco Mug Cake
- CDO Candied and Cheesy Bacon
- Bingo Orange Milkshake
- Baked Cheesy Salmon
- CDO Funtastyk Tocino Pasta
- CDO Chicken Franks Croissant
- San Remo Keilbasa – Black Forest Ham Baked Macaroni
- Burnt Cheesecake
- Crispy & Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Baked Salmon, Baked Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts
- Tanduay Mango Rhum
- Penne al Telefono
- Steak and Potatoes
- Chocolate Pudding
- Chicken Adobo
- Fried Rice
- Banana Pancakes
- Ham and Mushroom Quiche
- Cheesy Omelet
- Beef Mushroom Sandwich
- Potato Leek Soup with Truffle Oil
- Meatballs in Umbria Black Truffle Sauce
- Three-Cheese Umbria White Truffle Macaroni and Cheese
- Salmon en Papillote
- Baked Garlic Sweet Potatoes
- Detoxifying Soup