Trust the Filipino to put the most positive of spins on the most difficult of times. And that is exactly what many Filipino families are doing in this pandemic, which is leaving people little choice but to hole up at home rather than risk their health outside. While this situation is less than the ideal, many Filipino families are using the extra time they are spending at home to bond with one another—usually over food, whether for a kingly breakfast, a sumptuous lunch, a mouthwatering merienda, or a delectable dinner.
But as COVID-19 dominates yet again, there is no substitute to good health, and that is something you and your family can best ensure by sharing food that is both hearty and healthy. To be clear, this doesn’t mean saying goodbye entirely to all-time Pinoy favorites, like adobo, liempo or sinigang. These delicacies will forever be part of the Filipino dining table, and you can continue to feast on them fortnightly. That said, do explore other food choices for the family and try out meals from the usual ones we have grown to love.
With that in mind, Umbria has prepared some recipes that you and your family can cook together and eat later at the dining table while you spend some much-deserved quality time. Here are the two of them, and they happen to be a perfect match: a sandwich with beef and mushrooms and a leveled-up potato soup. Both are easy to prepare and are all sorts of hearty and healthy!
Beef Mushroom Sandwich
- 30 grams of sukiyaki beef
- 50 grams of portabella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- Umbria Truffle Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- Marinate the sukiyaki beef for at least 30 minutes with soy sauce and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Once the beef is marinated, start cooking the mushrooms. Add some butter and sauté them in a pan. When done, set the mushrooms aside.
- In the same pan, heat some butter again. Then, add the beef.
- Season the beef with salt and black pepper.
- While the beef is cooking, start preparing the bread. Put some mayonnaise on the bread.
- Once the beef starts caramelizing, add the mushrooms.
- Add salt and two teaspoons of Umbria Truffle Oil.
- Stuff the bread with the beef and mushroom.
- Serve and enjoy with a hot serving of potato leak soup with truffle oil.
Potato Leek Soup with Truffle Oil
- 3 medium potatoes (400grams)
- 35 grams of leaks
- 750 mL of stock
- 125 mL Cream
- White pepper
- Umbria truffle oil
- Peel the potatoes and then cut into 12 slices.
- Slice the leaks
- Put some butter in a hot pan and sauté the leaks.
- Add the potatoes when the leaks start becoming translucent. Stir until the potatoes are covered with leeks and butter.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Once the potatoes are becoming glazed, you can now pour the stock.
- Let it boil. Wait around 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, blend it and then strain.
- Add cream. Then, season with salt and white pepper. Stir.
- Add half a tablespoon of Umbria truffle oil.
- Serve and enjoy, preferably with a beef mushroom sandwich.
Pandemic or not, two of the most valuable things in life will always be a loving family and a healthy body. And one of the best ways to enjoy both is to bond over food, but preferably with healthy food choices always on the plate. Umbria products are distributed in the Philippines by Dygen Food Ventures Inc., a subsidiary of Dyna Drug Corporation and available at goodwill.market.
Check out my other recipes at The Tennis Foodie:
- Fusilli Pasta with Tomato and Cheddar Cheese Sauce using Quorn Meat-Free Grounds
- Cucumber Orange Cupcake by The Tennis Foodie
- Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
- Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
- Creamy Mackerel Pasta
- Chicken Vermont Curry
- Vinamilk No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Dark Chocolate Muesli Brigadeiros
- Melon Macadamia Surprise
- Sarangani Bay Bangus Rolls
- Danes Cheese Bacon Rolls
- Bingo Double Choco Mug Cake
- CDO Candied and Cheesy Bacon
- Bingo Orange Milkshake
- Baked Cheesy Salmon
- CDO Funtastyk Tocino Pasta
- CDO Chicken Franks Croissant
- San Remo Keilbasa – Black Forest Ham Baked Macaroni
- Burnt Cheesecake
- Crispy & Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Baked Salmon, Baked Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts
- Tanduay Mango Rhum
- Penne al Telefono
- Steak and Potatoes
- Chocolate Pudding
- Chicken Adobo
- Fried Rice
- Banana Pancakes
- Ham and Mushroom Quiche
- Cheesy Omelet