Sightsavers is an international NGO that focuses on treating and preventing avoidable blindness in the developing countries. It also promotes equality for visual impairments and other disabilities. The organization fund operations for people who need them, and train talented and professional eye care workers and surgeons. Sightsavers also arrange for medicines to be given to prevent blinding diseases through community volunteers in all developing countries.
Some of the eye diseases that they are treating are the following:
- Cataracts is often characterized by the build-up of protein that hazes the eye’s lens. It can lead to blurred vision and blindness.
- Refractive Error is the irregularity in the shape of the eye, making it hard to focus clearly. This may include myopia or also called as short-sightedness, hyperopia which is the long-sightedness, astigmatism which is caused by an irregularly curved cornea and presbyopia which is a normal ageing change where the eye is no longer able to focus at close range.
- Neglected tropical diseases or simply NTDs are a group of parasitic and bacterial infections that affect more than a billion population. It is most prevalent in remote rural areas, urban slums and in conflict zones.
- Glaucoma – it is a condition where the eye’s drainage becomes blocked leading to increase intraocular pressure that can damage the optic nerve
- Diabetic Retinopathy – a condition that affects the blood vessels in the back of the eyes.
Sightsavers also promote equal opportunities for people with visual impairment and other disabilities.
You can help the organization by preventing blindness and ensuring a brighter future for the youth in the developing countries. You can become a major donor or help them fundraise for their notable and charitable causes. As simple as 3 dollars could pay for a cataract consumable kits for five operations or 12 dollars can save approximately 554 families losing their sight to river blindness. There are other ways of giving. You can do a payroll giving which automatically be deducted to your company salary. The donations are tax effective which means the donated amount will be deducted before tax.
What are you waiting for? Help Sightsavers and be the light to the future!