Baking has always been one of my favorite past time. It does not only showcase my artistic side but it also lessens my stress especially after a long productive week. Recently, I have partnered with Oster Philippines and KitchenAid Philippines in making one of my original recipes – Cucumber Orange Cupcake.
Cucumber and orange are both very refreshing flavors. It’s also easy to sourced out. Here’s my take on combining these two flavors into one fun and zesty cupcake.
Cucumber Orange Cupcake by The Tennis Foodie
200g butter (soft)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cucumber (finely grasped)
1 orange (juice and zest)
100g butter (soft)
50g cream cheese
300g icing sugar
1 orange (2 tsp orange juice and zest)
2 tsp cucumber juice
orange and green food coloring
optional: zest of 1 orange (to decorate cupcakes)
Instructions (cucumber and orange juice preparation)
- Peel the cucumber and cut into quarters. Get rid of the inner part of the cucumbers as these would add to much water to the cupcake mixture.
- Start rasping the cucumber very finely with Oster Mason Ball Jar Blender.
- Strain the cucumber and add salt, which will help to release water from the cucumbers.
- Let it all rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Start squeezing the cucumbers with a spoon to release the excess water.
- Don’t toss out the liquid, keep it aside as we will need some of it for the frosting later on!
- If possible puree the cucumbers very finely.
- The cucumber and the cucumber liquid are now ready to be used in our cupcake and frosting mixture.
- Finely peel the skin of one orange and set it aside.
- Roll the peeled orange to release the juice.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze in a bowl. Set aside.
- Start by creaming together the soft butter and the sugar until light.
- Add the 3 eggs, one at a time and beat in between.
- Add the orange zest and juice. Mix well.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the cucumber and dry ingredients in turn to the butter-sugar-egg mixture and beat until well combined.
- Prepare some paper cases and spoon the same amount of cupcake batter (makes about 15) into them to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 25 minutes in an 180°C oven (or 160ºC in a convection oven) or until a cake tester will come out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Beat together the soft butter and the cream cheese until very creamy.
- Slowly add the icing sugar one spoon at a time until all is combined.
- Divide the frosting equally in two bowls.
- One bowl will become your orange frosting: Add the zest of one orange and 2 tsp of orange juice. Cream it all together and set aside.
- The other bowl will become your cucumber frosting: Add 2 tsp of the cucumber juice and a little green food coloring, just to distinguish the two frosting optically.
- Give both frosting into a piping bag. They should lie next to each other in the piping bag, like in a two-colored toothpaste.
- Start decorating your cupcakes with the frosting. It should come out two-colored. You have the option to make it as single color (if desired).
- If you have any left-over lime zest or happen to have a third one laying around, you could sprinkle some on top of your cupcakes for extra garnish.
In this recipe, I used the Artisan Mini 3.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer from KitchenAid.
it is basically a mini mixer with powerful and efficient performance. The Artisan Mini stand mixer can make up to five dozen of artisanal cookies in a single batch, with the same power as the full size KitchenAid tilt-head Stand Mixers. It is much more convenient to use since it is 20% smaller, 25% lighter, and fitting all attachments*. No need for that bulky mixer in your kitchen!
Alternatively, you may visit their official social media pages:
KitchenAid is exclusively distributed by Focus Global Inc. It is located at 15/F, Twenty-Four Seven McKinley, 24th St. corner 7th ave., Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, 1634, Philippines. They can be reached at (632) 7059999 and (632) 8336377 (fax). You can also reach them through their official email: email@example.com
58 thoughts on “Cucumber Orange Cupcake by The Tennis Foodie”
Interesting Combination.. I’ll try this!
Yummy….thnx for sharing.
I am gonna try this someday . Book marked it. ?
Never thought of this combination, great work!
Please check out my blog at http://www.dreamsuccor.com.
I don’t think I’ve ever had these flavors paired together, but it sounds intriguing! I’m hoping the weather cools more soon so I can do more baking!
I love trying unique recipes and I know if I make any kind of cupcakes the kids will eat them. I want to check out that mason jar blender, it would help with recipes.
I honestyl never thought of using cucumber as frosting on cupcakes. This is such a cool idea. It looks good and I bet it tastes good too!
I never thought of combining those two flavors! It sounds like a very interesting and delicious cupcake.
I never would have thought of pairing orange with cucumber. You got me so curious I am going to have a go at this recipe!
Oh my gosh, these look so delicious! I am all about cupcakes. I’m curious about the flavor–I’m sure I’d love it!
I’m sure these taste really delicious! My grandma had made something along these line into a cake & it was amazing!!
I’ve never had a cucumber cupcake before. That’s such a great idea for a flavor!
Oh my goodness that orange cupcake looks absolutely divine! And never thought of using cucumbers in a cupcake but thats a very interesting idea!
Never ever really heard a cupcake with cucumber. This is worth trying!
ooh those sound like they would be perfect for summer! nice and light and a refreshing taste.
Ooooh I love all things related to food and these cupcakes look so yummy. Great recipe!!!
Danielle | FollowMyGut.com <3
This seems like a cool combination! I would be interested to know how it tastes, but too afraid to mess up the recipe. LOL
Wow, I have never heard or tried this combination. This really wants me to try this one day. Thanks a lot for such unique recipe
What yummy-looking orange cupcakes. I want to reach right through my screen and grab one!
I am definitely gonna try this… It looks sooo yummm :D… I want agrab one right away 😀
These look so yummy! And I lllooooovvveeee cucumbers! Will have to try this one day!
Love your blog! All your recipe are super easy and make me slurrpppyy each time.. :p 😀 I am gonna try these orange cupcakes soon! Keep sweet things coming! 🙂
I would have never thought of adding cucumber but it makes all the sense in the world. I mean it should add tons of moister.
WHY HAVE I YET to put cucumber in any of my baked goods!!
I’ll definitely try this once…looks delicious..yum
Ooh, these would be perfect for the summer! Such a refreshing combination 🙂
This looks really yummy! i need to try them 🙂
This seems like an awesome treat. I would have never thought of using cucumber and orange together. So, I am very intrigued to try your recipe!
Really nice recipes. And lovely pictures too. Great work bro, I enjoyed reading.
I’ve never thought about using cucumbers for a cupcake! such an interesting combination for a sweet recipe!
Wow they look so delish! Never thought of this combination. I need one of those mixers to help me in my baking. Will be looking at it for the holidays.
This is such a unique combination but I think somehow it just works ! Would love to try it. Well done
I haven’t had this combination for cupcakes, very interesting but sounds delicious and easy to make. Love the colors for the frosting, very summery!
I can honestly say I’ve never had anything cucumber flavored when talking about cupcakes. It sounds refreshing, especially if paired with a light cupcake!
Interesting! I’ve never seen anything like it. Making me hungry!
Hey bro, i will let when you know when i arrive….Hannah Denton said it all “Makes me hungry”
I’ve honestly never tried using cucumber in cupcake recipes before and that’s really interesting for me! I think this is a must try! I’m sure it tastes amazing!
A very interesting recipe.. I never ever thought of combining cucumber and oranges together..but I am definitely going to give these cupcakes a try. Thanks for sharing :-)p
Flavors I never really would have considered before, but they look great! Thank you for the well-written recipes with pictures for those of us who are “baking-challenged”. 🙂
Hi! This is a very interesting combination. Will try it soon.
By the way, may i know how much orange juice and cucumber will i put in the batter mixture? Thanks!
So Fun! What a great flavor combination. I would never of thought of that myself. I can’t wait to give it a swirl.
I can’t say I’ve ever had a cupcake like this before. It sounds amazing, though. I love those summery flavors. It’s perfect for this time of year.
I didn’t realize that I needed this recipe in my life! I’m definitely going to give it a whirl one of these days — thank you for sharing it!
I would never have thought to put cucumbers and orange together, let alone in a cupcake. But it actually does sound refreshing, moist and yummy! I can’t wait to try it.
Yummy! Those cupcakes turned out awesome, I would have never thought about doing cucumber. Great idea!
It would never have occurred to me to put these two flavors together. But you are right – they are both refreshing, so why not. I’m interested to try these some time!
These look so dainty and luscious! Would love to try and make this someday.
For the first time, I heard of this combo of orange and cucumber. Will try to find how it tastes.
I would of never thought orange and cucumber would of went together in a cupcake. Cucumber frosting wow that is really out the box
Those sound and look amazing. I made cupcakes for my daughters bday but it’s been a bit
Personally I think this mixer is the best on market. Kitchen Aid is just perfect. second of all the recipe is very interesting, I will definitely give it a try
Looks yummy and I love muffins. I do bake them at home, so would surely try.
I’ll definitely try this once…looks delicious..yum
This is a rare recipe. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. I like the way you illustrated with photos of yourself. Bon appetit!
Oh I’ve never made cupcakes or any baked goods really, with cucumbers. These look quite yummy, I’ll have to try!
I’m impressed! It looks so cute! C’est magnifique! Hope I can try your cupcakes soon.
Comments are closed.